Not OK anymore

Now I'm back in OK after 10 years on the left coast, but I'm still not 'OK'...we'll see how life in the middle of the country treats us. Keep checking for life updates and musings...

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Progressive isn't always better

Having a child leads one to notice things once overlooked. Like today's story on MSN about child care centers receiving low grades. I understand that in many areas the midwest, and the mideast get the short end of the stick. The progressive states on the coasts often get the publicity and therefore are often thought of as better.

When it comes to child care, there really isn't a standard as the map above shows. My home state of OK graded out well, while my home state of CA didn't do so well. Now I know that part of that comes with numbers and the criteria, but the fact is that progressive states, aren't always better, but also, smaller states who are often thought of as 'family oriented' are better either. Look at Kansas and Nebraska for instance.

I am happy that currently we are able to juggle work, with a few college babysitters, friends and family and not have to send Caleb to daycare. That is one huge blessing! The idea of daycare has never really sat right with me, but for a large majority out there, there is no other choice. Our economy has moved, like it or not to a dual income model, particularly in the 'progressive' coastal cities. I wonder just how progressive dual income families really are in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home