Not OK anymore

Now I'm back in OK after 10 years on the left coast, but I'm still not 'OK'...we'll see how life in the middle of the country treats us. Keep checking for life updates and musings...

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wow

I know it has been a while since any posts, but with the move and August (the craziest time of the year for my profession), I haven't been able to get up and going. Now though, I think I'm back. I plan on reviving the weekly pics and updates of Tara's pregnancy (which is how this whole thing started btw), but first I couldn't pass this up.

"9 Year Old Kicked Out of League Because He Is Too Good". Yes you read that right. Maybe you have heard or maybe you haven't but the high level summary is that this kid pictured is a 9 year old and the powers that be in his youth league have said he cannot finish the season and his team is to be disbanded (they are 8-0 with only a few games left to play btw). Too good? Really? How can a kid be punished for being too good? Other reports I've read said that the perennial league champ tried to recruit him away from the team he is on before the season and is throwing a stink because they will not win this year.

It all is very messy with lawsuits and such (keep in mind they are 8-10 year olds) but at the base of it all is a trend in our society I find alarming. Schools have outlawed tag, we are encouraged to 'bubble wrap' our children, and cities are padding their lamp posts!

When will it all stop? Is it possible to 'over protect'? I tend to think yes. Do I think that this boy probably should have been in a more competitive league? Yes, but that should have been discussed before the season started, not right before it ends and the 'wrong' team is winning. Finally, kicking him out and dismantling the team, what does that do?

To use a quote from "The Incredibles", "If everybody is special, then nobody is special". Unfortunately, most of the students I work with today have grown up with this societal trend and EXPECT to be treated as "special" and be "protected" from the hard things in life, which btw, I believe often create the best teachable moments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home