Not OK anymore

Now I'm back in OK after 10 years on the left coast, but I'm still not 'OK'...we'll see how life in the middle of the country treats us. Keep checking for life updates and musings...

Monday, February 20, 2006

The Helmetization of America

Our weekly baby classes have come to an end, and as I've said before, overall they were beneficial, but I felt they were too drawn out. The past two weeks of our 'baby care basics' class focused on safety (child proofing and infant C.P.R.). The idea of child proofing has always presented me with a quandary (and no not the 14er I climbed this past summer). The issue I have isn't about the safety of our soon to be born boy, but the hyper-sensitivity of our society as it relates specifically to children.

Again, I'm not down on protecting our children, but I do think that we are on the verge of moving too far. To me, it is pretty simply a life and death issue. I've discussed this with different friends of mine who are parents and picked their brains regarding safety. What I have come to is pretty simple: If my child is more likely than not going to die, I will provide hyper-sensitive care/protection; however, if it is a possibility that maybe 1 in 100,000 times my son might bump his head and get a scratch, I'm not too worried. Children will be children.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has put together a list of "12 Safety Devices That Protect Our Children". First before I move on, isn't it my job as a parent to protect my child, or the device? I know many of you may say, "You are protecting them by buying and installing these products." Anyway, on this list, I agree with the majority of the items. However, I do have a problem with 'cordless phones', 'corner bumpers', 'door stops and door holders', and 'door knob covers'. Again, back to my philosophy, if I have a razorsharp edge or corner, maybe I will look into covering it, but to cover all corners in my home is a little silly. However, a home covered in bubble wrap would be AWESOME! And for the cordless phone, how long have they been around? 100 plus years of humans have survived the corded phone just fine. I don't think I have ever seen any person get into such a predicament with their phone cord that it could mortally injure them (however, I do remember when I was a kid,my mom getting tangled a few times, but that was because we had the 100 yard cord that was always crinkled up in a knot!). Door stops/Door holders? This is so the kids fingers don't get slammed into a door. Again, it is my job to help teach my child this danger, but hard knocks sometime are the best lesson. I know I learned really quickly that closing doors should be avoided or my little digits would hurt. Door knob covers? What about, "NO, don't open that door." Again, I know kids will do what they want, but hopefully I will be able to 'parent' them enough to not need a veritable prison cell in my home!

It's not all about toddlers either! What about helmets? California requires all bicycle riders to wear them. Along with minors who skateboard, rollerskate, walk on their hands for more than three feet, and play scrabble :)! I understand there is an inherent danger in falling without a helmet, but again, how many years have we been riding bikes? It is a funny sight to go down to Santa Monica and rollerblade along the path beside the beach and see the families who look like their more ready to play football rather than rollerblade decked out with gloves, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, helmets, uv protected sunglasses, zinc on their noses, and 100 s.p.f. sunscreen! This always makes me ask, first how is that fun, and second, at what point will this end?

I will close by talking about car seats. Again, they are very important, and should be used correctly to protect young children in car crashes. But as you can see on above, some states have already moved to the 8 year old law! What? California is discussing this issue. It currently mandates that 6 years or 60 pounds need to be in preferably a 'high back booster seat'. Eight years is crazy to me. Also, as you can see from the map, what happens if my friend Brian Cole in Michigan, takes a trip to Ohio, or West Virginia when his daughter is five? Those socially conscious individuals in Illinois, or Indiana, might turn him in to Child Protective services for not having his child in a booster seat, even though at home (where 80 percent of all traffic accidents occur btw) they are totally safe and legal! Again, EIGHT YEARS? Nothing against my parents, but at 8 I was riding my bike to school, without a helmet, and crossing major streets...and as far as I can tell, I'm still breathing...

5 Comments:

Blogger Caleb said...

Dude, I don't make the map...just post it...

1:28 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Michael, I'm not sure that your mental state should EVER be used as a testimony to the quality of childcare in Oklahoma.

Just saying...

Although, now that Eddie Sutton is off the road, I'm sure things will be alright.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Michael,

The reality is, you're just lazy, and don't care about your unborn son. I pray for him daily. As I do for you.
Chris.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Preach it Michael. As Chuck and I have always said, the best safety devise for a child is an attentive and active parent. It has gotten totally ridiculous...lots of these issues would be solved if we simply paid more attention to our kids.

Remind me why it is that I have to have a liscence (and pass a class in many states) to own a dog, but anybody can have a kid?

5:56 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

You're right- any idiot can have a kid: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambrascott/99799669/

The second best safety device is a healthy appreciation for natural selection. :)

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home