Not OK anymore

Now I'm back in OK after 10 years on the left coast, but I'm still not 'OK'...we'll see how life in the middle of the country treats us. Keep checking for life updates and musings...

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Some Things Don't Go Away

July, 1975 was a monumental month in history. Besides the fact that I was born some, ahem, 30 plus years ago, that was the month that Jimmy Hoffa 'disappeared'.

Today, I read this article and wonder why, thirty plus years later this is still national news?

"FBI searching horse farm for clues to Hoffa's disappearance"

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that there are probably family members out there still holding hope that Hoffa took a plane to an unknown island and found an underground hatch where he is living with survivors from an ABC show, but is the state of Michigan STILL spending money investigating his 'death'?

At what point do cold cases become permanently cold? At what point does someone rest in peace, missing or not? At what point do tax dollars get spent on current missing persons, or the less fortunate who probably need help from the law, more than Jimmy Hoffa? And finally, why again is this a national story?

Hoffa, for all the 'good' he supposedly did, was a shady character. Hence his sudden vanishing act. What is crazy to me is there are as many conspiracy theories about Hoffa as there are about JFK! And again I ask, Jimmy Hoffa?

I was talking to Chuck Strawn the other day about how I'm over media! For many years now, I have been growing tired of the sensationalism, glorification, and blatant embellishment by local and national media. The line between tabloid and news is gone in my opinion, with sadly the news going the direction of the hearsay tabloids! It started for me when the networks gave Florida to Gore, then national stories of Natalie Holloway (and other 'pretty, blond' people), when underrepresented children go missing daily and nobody hears about it, to the Barry Bonds scandal, when scores of other players are in deeper water than him but nobody talks about them, and now this! Instead of discussing or better yet spending tax dollars to combat poverty, homelessness, child neglect, education, we are sending teams of investigators out to a horse ranch to look for someone who has been missing my entire life!

Maybe, just maybe, the leader of the 'others' on "Lost" turns out to be Jimmy Hoffa...Now wouldn't THAT be a twist!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you would like to censor the national media like you would like to censor college news media. They're reporting what sells. And I'd bet you'd like the Bonds story to go away.

Michael you mention Hoffa has been missing your whole life. I guess the world really does revolve around you, since that is your point of reference to make the story irrelevant.

Brian Cole

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home